The Department studies the ancient cultures and languages of the Mediterranean and Western Asia and offers modules in Ancient Cultures, Biblical Hebrew, Ancient Greek, Latin and Classical Legal Culture.
Position Type: Permanent
- Undergraduate teaching of Ancient Cultures and Latin or Greek;
- Postgraduate supervision (on Honours and Master’s level);
- Researching topics in Ancient Cultures and/or Latin and/or Greek and publishing research findings;
- Active involvement in all Departmental activities;
- Active involvement in community interaction projects;
- Performing all necessary administrative tasks.
- An MA in Ancient Cultures or Latin or Greek or a related field;
- Demonstrated potential for research (e.g. in the quality of Honours or Masters projects; article(s) submitted for publication);
- Submission of a doctoral proposal and registration for a PhD in Ancient Cultures or Latin or Greek within the first 18 months of appointment;
- Experience in the teaching of Ancient Cultures or Latin or Greek;
- Academic language proficiency in English;
- Ability to work independently and in teams;
- Ability to use information technology in the teaching and study of Ancient Cultures and Latin or Greek;
- Ability to function well in a multilingual environment.
- Knowledge of any related areas (e.g. Law or Philosophy);
- Submission of a proposal for a PhD in Ancient Cultures or Latin or Greek as part of the application;
- Submission of completed chapters of a PhD in Ancient Cultures or Latin or Greek as part of the application;
- Knowledge of Greek or Latin, in addition to specialisation in the other language;
- Proficiency in another South African language.
Enquiries regarding job content: Prof Annemaré Kotzé on 021 808 3203, or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Service Centre on 021 808 2753, or at SUN-E-HR@sun.ac.za
Commencement Date: 01-Jan-2021
Closing Date: 30-Oct-2020
The University is committed to employment equity (EE), and appointments will be made in line with the EE plan for the specific environment as well as Stellenbosch University’s institutional EE Plan.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Apply online at http://www.sun.ac.za/english/careers
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail addresses of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within six weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.